Soaking Mung Beans and Garbanzos





Yesterday while shopping at our favorite international market, Ron and I decided to enjoy lunch at the cafeteria.  It one's one of my favorite spots for fresh salads with ingredients from every corner of the earth.  I'm able to enjoy all the field greens I can stand along with curried beans and root vegetables GALORE.  I recreate a Persian-styles salad with walnuts, feta, hummus, egg, cucumbers, beets in ginger sauce, tabouleh and hummus.  I hav little delectable pockets of orzo salad with fresh greens and mung beans! 

The flavors explode in my mouth and Ron says my face lights up with excitement.  Who knew all it tooks was beans?!

I have my own dried mung and garbanzo beans soaking at home-I am going to make a side dish for this week's show that incorporates a little of everything I love.  More and more of my audience is asking for alternative protein dishes for their diets and both of these beans are loaded with protein (over 7 grams in 3.5 oz.) if boiled.  Raw, they provide double that
amount.  They are also an excellent source of potassium, necessary for a strong, healthy heart!

Posted by Picasa

Comments

Great post on soaking beans...very informative, thank you. I'm looking forward to meeting you on Friday in San Fran for the Foodbuzz Festival...I can't wait!
Home At Last said…
thanks so much, Healthy Apple. Unfortunately, we had to cancel to due an older pet's degenerating health. He has stopped eating and we couldn't bear to have him pass while we were away! Have fun though!

Try the beans. If they are soaked for three days, they can be eaten as a delicious snack. They can be seasoned and baked for a healthy snack much like nuts.

Popular posts from this blog

Jacque Pepin's Chicken Liver Pate

Artist-Walter Anderson

Vernon Kilns Honolulu By Don Blanding