Fried Green Tomatoes and South African Liver Salad

 
 

Last night we opted for appetizers for dinner. . . just like Will's dad. . . in one of my favorite Will and Grace episodes.

I turned a couple of large, firm green tomatoes into one of our favorite appetizers of buttermilk-soaked green tomatoes with a fire-roasted red pepper sauce with goat cheese! It just doesn't get much better on a summer night.

As a companion I made one of my favorite South African salads. Mixed field greens with fried chicken livers and an easy potato salad with wasabi oil.

Loads of flavor and a great way to engage a loved one in the kitchen. I had Ron help me with prepping while I turned the charred pepper into a simple sauce with garlic olive oil and a little sour cream and fresh cracked pepper. The tomatoes were soaked in buttermilk before dredging them in a mixture of yellow and white corn meal and flour.

The chicken livers were dredged in flour, salt and pepper. Not too many clashing flavors-I let the sauces do the heavy duty. I drizzle the salad with olive oil and fresh cracked pepper and salt.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Mary Cunningham said…
This looks and sounds wonderful, Patty! Would you come cook for me?? Hmmm??

Mary
http://www.marycunninghambooks.com
Home At Last said…
Anytime. We just delivered a Soft-shell Crab Po-boy to Larry Underwood of Panera's!

He giggled and ate, giggled and ate!
I like liver and I cannot lie...

Popular posts from this blog

Jacque Pepin's Chicken Liver Pate

Artist-Walter Anderson

Vernon Kilns Honolulu By Don Blanding