Turkish-style Rice Pilaf


 
 
 
This is a nostalgic dish from my childhood! My mother made a similar pilaf with her BBq'd chicken. Dinners were simple back then but delicious! I know your wondering. . ."then". . ."when"?

For the sake of my story let's just say. . .a long time ago, in a land far away.

I continue to make this dish for my husband and this "pumped-up" version is an excellent one pot meal.

On the plate are carrots, garlic, baby vidalia onion, green onion, celery, quartered cherry tomatoes and chicken. I also added a teaspoon of chopped mint and Greek seasoning blend, as well has a small handful of dried currants. If I have them on hand I love to add raw spring mix or any type of simple greens.

Great tasting and healthy, this simple creation is loaded with fiber and has very little fat other than a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Exotic Sri Lankan Curry and hot dried red pepper flakes create exciting flavor enhanced by a small dollop of creamy sour cream and slivered green apple.

The dried red currants provide a beautiful contrast to the smoky cumin and brightly-flavored cherry tomatoes balance out the flavor.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacque Pepin's Chicken Liver Pate

Artist-Walter Anderson

Vernon Kilns Honolulu By Don Blanding