Moroccan-style Spice Blend


I've been studying and enjoying a Turkish cookbook that my mom received from a good friend back in 1954 when our family first arrived in Izmir, Turkey. 

Since starting this pleasurable pastime I've also savored a few of my favorite Middle Easter dishes!

A favorite Atlanta market offers one of the tastiest salad bars with plenty of savory toppings spiced with lots of cumin, coriander, paprika, and turmeric. My favorites toppings include curried chickpeas, Tabouleh, walnuts, Feta cheese, cous-cous, sprouted beans, hummus and olives! The exotic flavors linger in my memory for days!

I finally started gathering all the spice ingredients for a Moroccan blend that might serve me well with all my upcoming projects. Beef and Chicken Samosas and a Turkish recipe for Lamb and Chickpeas served over rice.

I stopped what I was doing a hour ago and toasted some of the required seeds and pods before blending with turmeric, ginger, paprika, black pepper and a few finger hots! What I've blended is aromatic, authentic and "calling my name"! 

My recipe for a Moroccan-style spice blend:

1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 clove
1 tbsp cardamon
1 tbsp nutmeg
1 tbsp cinnamon
1tbsp dried mint leaves
1 tbsp ginger powder
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp red pepper
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp salt

After toasting for about five minutes I ground the ingredients into a powder and place in an airtight jar.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacque Pepin's Chicken Liver Pate

Artist-Walter Anderson

Vernon Kilns Honolulu By Don Blanding