Jamaican Chicken Stew



On a cold, wet night this is one of those dishes that can be pulled together so easily.

My first attempt at a similar dish was made after watching Anthony Bourdain exploring the African Bush. He made everything sound so delicious; causing me to rush into the kitchen one Sunday and stewed a pork roast with sweet potatoes. It was fabulous.

As my interest in African cuisine has grown so has my intrique for the subtleties of flavorings that spice these humble dishes. I query every African cook I meet about cooking methods as well as favorite herbs and spices. Methods are familiar and practical!

Yesterday,I found myself behind a man at the check-out lane at my favorite H-Mart. He had placed a few simple ingredients on the conveyor belt. I smiled and politely asked "what was for dinner". He eagerly shared his recipe! Jamaican Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash. "What spices?", I asked. "Only salt".

Never one to leave a recipe alone, I created my own easy recipe that is a variation of fragrant African stews that will satisfy the adventurer in each of us! This is a stew of chicken, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, and plantains with early onion bulbs, cilantro, Jamaican Oxtail seasoning and fresh cumin and coriander and my own dried red pepper. 
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacque Pepin's Chicken Liver Pate

Artist-Walter Anderson

Vernon Kilns Honolulu By Don Blanding