Oyster Mania


I suffer from "oyster mania" Raw-baked-broiled-stewed-gussied-naked-it really doesn't matter. I grew up on raw and thought I was pretty much a purist-but, I've discovered that I really love them just about any way they are lovingly prepared!

You're probably thinking "Hey, I really like oysters, too? So, what's the big deal?

No big deal, I suppose . . .I'm just setting the record straight I get a lot of questions about my favorite types of foods and recipes and I never remember to include oysters! But this week has been an excellent reminder of how much I really enjoy these wonderful little bi-valves!

I started the weekend with a dozen oysters raw with cocktail sauce, fresh lemon and extra horseradish and a BBQ sandwich. Saturday, I enjoyed steamed oysters with a little Monterrey Jack cheese (surprisingly good) along with a steamy bowl of clam chowder. Sunday - I broiled them with a spot of butter creamy Butterkase cheese (from Germany), a smattering of fresh scallions, a few drops of fresh squeezed lemon juice and fresh ground pepper. Yummy!

I haven't decided on tonight's preparation but you can be assured oysters are on the menu. I bought some Vietnamese spinach this week, I might have to make Oysters Rockefeller-one of my all time favorites. Being from Louisiana I love Fried Oyster Po-boys, dressed and topped with lots of Louisiana Hot Sauce. I also make a low fat oyster stew with fire-roasted fish, low cal and delicious.

Well, oysters aren't cheap so I need to go earn some money!


 

Comments

Diana Black said…
My husband LOVES raw oysters. We visit St George Island (FL) a couple times a year and the oystermen have a tough time staying ahead of him. Fortunately he naps in the hammock most of the afternoon, giving them time to replenish their stock before his evening feast.

I love them in oyster dressing, baked and, yes, fried. I know, I know. You're probably rolling your eyes right about now.

By the way, hubby is with you on the extra horseradish!

Diana
http://basicblackblog.blogspot.com
Home At Last said…
I love Fried Oyster Po-boys! I am not a SNOB when it comes to oysters!!
Mary Cunningham said…
Oh, YUM! I'm with you. Used to love raw oysters, as did my husband, but we've become a little wary in recent years.

I also love friend oysters!!

Great post, Patty.

Mary
http://www.cynthiasattic.blogspot.com
I can't handle them raw, but I think the best I've eaten in a long time are those at the Half Shell here in town. I especially love the ones with bacon & jalapeno! Good stuff!
By the way LOVE the new look on the site!
I saw some beauties yesterday in chinatown but I wont bother to tell you how cheap they were...
Home At Last said…
I started my rampage at The Half Shell, continued Saturday at Spondivits near the airport and finally wised up and bought them fresh-shucked at the market.

And Doggie Bloggy! There's no reason to be mean . . .we are landlocked here.

Patty

Popular posts from this blog

Jacque Pepin's Chicken Liver Pate

Artist-Walter Anderson

Vernon Kilns Honolulu By Don Blanding