Buttermilk Bread Pudding with Rum Honey Sauce

 
 
 
 

A friend wrote to tell me we were under a tornado watch and I thought, "O.K., good-I'll bake something!"

In some parts of the country that might be an odd response to a nasty storm headed your way-but, hey, I'm from Louisiana-I react by preparing food and drink. . .known in Louisisana as a "hurricane party".

Today's reaction resulted in a New Orleans and family favorite, Bread Pudding! I have been baking it so long now there's no need for a recipe-just leftover bread, a few eggs, milk and some flavoring.

I played a little today-adding buttermilk rather than whole milk. I backed off some of the sugar and added a few tablespoons of a cane-molasses syrup blend I keep on hand for biscuits.

This was one of our more popular breakfast courses during our innkeeping days. I panfried the bread pudding in a little butter and topped it with a Tequila Sauce and fresh whipped cream.

In Louisiana, all food is recycled and creates some of the most delicious cuisine in the U.S. Don't throw out that old bread, ya'll!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

how do you make something good better? I think you nailed it - rum honey sauce -
Susan said…
I love bread pudding for comfort during storms.
Home At Last said…
I could have blown away and I would have been good! The honey was Wally's Spun Honey and the Rum was dark!
That bread pudding with rum honey sauce looks yum! Bread pudding is my all time comfort food.
Vendettis said…
That looks dee-lish! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Jacque Pepin's Chicken Liver Pate

Artist-Walter Anderson

Vernon Kilns Honolulu By Don Blanding