Sweet Potato Cheesecake

 
 
 
 

This big ole sweet potato kept following me around the kitchen. I would move it and there it would be-just staring back at me.

So, I decided to cook it. Not to be mean-but I didn't know what else to do. There it was. . . all steamy in the bowl
And then it occurred to me that I would honor the sweet potato by incorporating it into a tasty dessert.

I poked my head around a little in the refrigerator and there sat a big container of ricotta and homemade peach syrup. Things were looking up.

I continued opening cabinets to see what was on hand-rather than sending my runner out to the grocery store. I found a container of blanched almonds and pretzel rods. Interesting. . .

I got me a big bowl, my whisk and starting creating. Every once in a while you just get lucky. And if ever there was a time to get lucky this was it. In the South, we like our sweet potatoes!

What I ended up with was a perfectly dense ricotta "cheesecake" with a hidden layer of blanched almonds just below the surface. I made a crunchy pretzel and almond meal crust and a topping of mixed sugars, almond meal and little left over pretzel meal.

What made the cheesecake stand-out was a tablespoon of cane syrup and one of peach syrup. The crust and the crunchy topping were a great surprise and added the perfect saltiness to the sweet potato. I used nutmeg and cinnamon in moderation and gained a lot of flavor from dried egg whites with vanilla.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

pototo -potota - what does it all mean?
Home At Last said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Home At Last said…
Susan-it was so delicious. And I don't have to deal with that pesky sweet potato with it's little eyes-just staring at me!
Home At Last said…
Doggybloggy!!!! PO TAAH Toe! Potatoes to die for! I'm so embarrassed!

Popular posts from this blog

Jacque Pepin's Chicken Liver Pate

Artist-Walter Anderson

Vernon Kilns Honolulu By Don Blanding