Tropical Fusion

 
 
 

Two of the most interesting salads I have ever enjoyed were in Europe. My all-time favorite salad was at the Hotel Guittard in Zug, Switzerland. We checked into this small boutique hotel late one summer night. Perched high on a hill overlooking a beautiful lake the hotel offered amazing views from the balcony-including an inviting patio restaurant engulfed by candlelight.

On a recommendation I ordered their specialty salad and was delighted with the beautiful presentation. The variety of fresh ingredients-each neat pile complimented by a unique dressing provided a memorable dining experience and great Swiss beer.

I enjoyed a similar style of salad on the Rhine River in Germany. A tuna salad-not in the Nicoise-style but more like the Swiss-style I just mentioned. Both of these salads left a lasting impression and I regularly make similar interesting varieties in hot weather.

Although last night's salad was informal and quickly pulled together it delivered an interesting contrast of flavors and pleasant textures.

The salad dressing was an creamy light dressing-thin by American standards. It was combination of mayo, coconut milk, catsup, apple juice and fig balsamic. I added a tablespoon of snipped chives, a half teaspoon of garam masala powder and garlic.

Fresh ingredients included julienned carrot, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, banana, and I grilled fresh pineapple in Asian Chile Oil and garlic olive oil. The roasted pork was the meat (of course it was-I'm on the last 6 oz of that roast.) And it was served with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. Ronald Mac was happy!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacque Pepin's Chicken Liver Pate

Artist-Walter Anderson

Vernon Kilns Honolulu By Don Blanding