Vidalia Onion Season

 

I know the rest of you probably have photos of your kids, pets and favorite art pieces on your refrigerators but my custom-made magnets are holding reminders of seasonal foods.

For instance, our visit Saturday night to the Little Hawaiian Restaurant reminded me that the vidalias are beginning to trickle in to area stores. Ron has requested my Roasted Stuffed Vidalia (recipe on my website) and plans have been made to include a favorite hamburger of my father's from his teen years in Lynchburg, Virginia.

Topped with a fried egg and a chow-chow type of secret dressing I have created a close replication made from cabbage and vidalia onions. I have roughly five months to buy up and create the dressing before the sweet onions disappear for winter.

I also took note at the farmer's market this week of seasonal seafood. In a few more days we should start seeing some fresh soft shell crabs-one of my all time favorite foods. I adore Soft-shell Crab Po-Boys and Louisiana Hot Sauce.

I have been working on my own rolls to create that crispy roll found only in Louisiana. Ron and I owned a sandwich shop in Gretna, Louisiana back in the 80's and many hours were spent hunting down the freshest seeded buns and French Bread for Po-Boys at Schweggman's.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

tasteeeeee - we have soft shell crabs in the markets here already...I can eat maybe one or two a year - too much biology!
Reeni said…
Vidalia onions rule! Your stuffed onion is divine. I can see myself making it.
Home At Last said…
funny! but I will eat your share! doggybloggy

It's fun to make! Tuscans love their sweet onions so it was a good fit to use Vidalias!

Popular posts from this blog

Jacque Pepin's Chicken Liver Pate

Artist-Walter Anderson

Vernon Kilns Honolulu By Don Blanding