Easy Meatballs with Mushroom Sauce





Posted by Picasa
I have long since stopped expecting an answer when I ask Ron what he would like for dinner - but to my surprise(!) tonight he suggested he would like some meatballs.

I had ground beef on hand, homemade bread crumbs, fresh parsley, dried sage and dried black and shitake mushrooms.  I combined the meat, fresh herbs, bread crumbs, anchovy paste, lemon and garlic; gently pan-fried the meatballs in olive oil and removed them to paper towels while I made a quick sauce.

To make a rich gravy, I soaked the dried mushrooms for a half-hour-until a dark, robust flavor and color developed in the warm water.  A half cup of the mushroom water was blended into 2 tablespoons of the reserved olive oil.  I whisked together 1/8 cup warm water with 2 tablespoons of Bisto (Beef) and added it to the mushroom water.  I eventually added the soaked mushrooms in the final stage of cooking.

A little red wine, a teaspoon of espresso powder, a pinch of salt and, finally, I added the cooked meatballs back to the sauce.  Everything simmered for ten minutes and was spooned on top of freshly cooked short grain rice.

Comments

This sounds so good and relatively easy. Thanks Patty
Home At Last said…
with all the renovations I am cooking easy,quick meals from what's on hand. . .no trips to my favorite stores!

Popular posts from this blog

Jacque Pepin's Chicken Liver Pate

Artist-Walter Anderson

Vernon Kilns Honolulu By Don Blanding